Information to Share:
- Aboriginal Program Form: Each year, our students of aboriginal ancestry need to fill our a self identification form to qualify for enrichment programming in the Langley School District. If your child has any aboriginal lineage, they should complete this short form. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact Ms Hansen, our Aboriginal Support Worker.
- Hot Lunch: We are excited to be using the Munch-a-Lunch online ordering system for our hot lunch program this year. It is a great tool that allows parents to order online, pay online or at the school and even reminds you the day before hot lunch is occurring. If you are a new family, you can register quickly. If you registered last year, you are still in the system. Please be sure to access the website by clicking here ... October hot lunch is now open.
- Visitors to West Langley: Just a reminder that ALL VISITORS to West Langley MUST check in at the office when they arrive at the school. We also ask parents entering the school to please give Mrs. Swerdan a wave so she knows you are in the building. Strong Start parents are asked to use the outside entrance to the program or check in with Mrs. Swerdan on the way to the classroom.
- Dogs At School: A couple year ago, we had an incident after school involving a young student and a dog. Although the young lady was alright, this could have turned out much worse. Like last year, we will be reminding all of the students that strange dogs, even ‘friendly’ ones with their owners may not be safe to approach. We also have a number of students who are nervous about dogs. So putting this all together, I would like to request that people bringing their dogs to school either dropping off children or picking up after school, please keep the dogs off of the concrete areas around the perimeter of the school. This will allow the students to enter and leave classrooms without being within the proximity of the dogs. I understand that the dogs are friendly, but it is now requested that they be kept back from where the children are congregating and I appreciate your understanding and compliance with this request. Thank you.
- Dress For The Weather: As was evident last week, living on the beautiful West Coast comes with plenty of rain. And as educators and parents, we know how important it is for kids to have fresh air and exercise to enhance learning and physical well being. Therefore, at West Langley we very rarely keep our students inside at recess and lunch. So to that end, we ask parents to please send kids with proper footwear and jackets. We do not let students phone home if they are wet after recess and lunch. Please be sure to send your child prepared to be outside.
- Professional Learning: Every week, as we continue to grow as professionals, we come across articles, blog posts, video, etc that help guide our understanding in how best to work with students and empower their learning experience. We are able to curate these great resources using a web tool called "Scoop It." As parents, this information can be a great way to not only understand how the learning process works at school, but also how to assist your child to grow and develop at home. During the past few weeks, we have “scooped” a few professional learning articles, websites and videos to Lions Lowdown: Professional Learning at West Langley Elementary. Be sure to check out the following:
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us (video)
Modernization: First Wave And Next Wave
From The PAC:Happy Sunday afternoon
Wendy here again from the PAC… sorry, but it's a crazy time of year (which you well know!!) and I am just trying to keep everyone as informed as possible. I will do point form for all this info here….
- Room Parents - info went out to parents about signing up for your room parents. Once that is finalized (about Oct 6), you will know who that is.
- ET Books will be going home Oct 6. As in previous years, every student will receive one to take home. They can purchase that book, and just return that money to class OR they can return the book OR (and preferably) they use that book as a sample to help sell more books. Books and orders can come back any time and either myself, Heidi Martin, or Sarah Schnare will be popping our heads in at the start of each day to collect bags/books/ET book stuff. We will also deliver additional orders back at the end of days… likely tues/wed.
- HOT Lunch info will be going home soon. We are continuing to use Munch a lunch (online) for our regular ordering. Most families will use this but for the few that don't, we will have paper order forms at the office. NOTE…. most people will also pay online, but if students are bringing cheques, they are to be dropped off at the black mailbox in the office (no need to hold onto that in your classroom). Any questions about hot lunch from you or parents are to be directed to Erin MacDonald or Sylvia Poitras.
- Kindergarten Parent Welcome Morning. We are hosting our 2nd annual Kindie parent morning TOMORROW, Mon Sep 29th. All K parents are welcome to come to the library at dropoff for coffee, muffins and more importantly a chance to get to know each other as well as chat with Mr. D, Mrs. Swerdan, and us PAC people.
- oh boy…. I think that's it. Please feel free to contact any of the pac exec or email me here if you have any questions or suggestions.
Thanks for reading.. hoping this will clarify or answer questions about some of the PAC goings-ons.
Kindergarten Welcome Coffee and Muffins at 8:40 in the Library
Band rental demonstration for grades 6 & 7 in music room 2:30 - 4:30