As of today, there has been no resolution to the on-going labour dispute between the BCTF and the government. It is truly our hope that this can be resolved and school and start as scheduled on September 2nd. In the meantime, please continue to monitor local media outlets and check in with our website, Facebook Page and/or Twitter account for the latest developments.
Below is some information as we begin to approach the beginning of the school year:
Thanks To Our Custodial/Maintenance Team: A huge thanks to the team of custodians that cleaned up the school to get it ready for the new year. The floors are shining and things look great. Always nice to start off with a great looking building. We even are getting the intermediate girls washroom renovated to match the intermediate boys washroom.
Staffing Update: As with every new year, there are some changes occurring at West Langley in the upcoming year. Below is a summary of what we know as of today:
- Linda Alsop has accepted a position for this coming year coming to us from Wix Brown Elementary. She will be a great addition to our primary team.
- Nicola Gorseth has also accepted a primary position, leaving Langley Meadows Elementary to join us at West Langley. She will also be able to add great talent to our staff.
- Shelley MacDonald will be joining our SEA team from Aldergrove Secondary. She has experience with a variety of experience with different ages
- Amy Levesque will be rejoining the SEA team after being at Willoughby for the past couple years. She knows many of our students with special needs quite well
- Janet Johnson will also be rejoining the Learning Support Team at West Langley after being for a few years. Her energy will be a great addition to the school.
- Our counsellor, Leanne Fleming has taken a position in the UK and will not be with us this year. We will be getting a replacement assigned through the district.
- Our Strong Start Teacher, Louise Menzies, accepted a position at Parkside Elementary to be closer to her home and family. We will be assigned a new Strong Start coordinator in the coming days.
- Lara Lacroix accepted a position at HD Stafford and her position has been reposted
- Marie Robinson has extended her leave of absence through until the end of December. That position has also been posted.
- We also have a 20% primary position and 10% Learning Support position that will need to be filled.
School Supplies: The Primary supply list is available by clicking here. The Intermediate supply list is available by clicking here.
For A Good Laugh: Some of you may remember that a couple years ago a TV show called, The Audience, used West Langley to film their show. In the process they, talked to me about what we are doing there as part of the process of helping the participant decide between public school and home-schooling. It finally aired this past summer. If you are interested, here is the link
We will be sending out another update next week. This will include information about the first week of school, the Kindergarten gradual entry schedule among other things. In the meantime, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact Mr. Davids.