Snow closures and power outages are an annual occurrence in Langley School District. So where do you go to get information about the status of schools during periods of inclement weather? If you are able to access the internet via computer or smartphone, current information about Langley schools can be accessed at www.sd35.bc.ca<http://www.sd35.bc.ca>. Alerts regarding school status will appear as a banner at the top of the District website. Clicking on ‘More Details’ will provide more information. School status information may also be found under News & Events’, ‘School Status Alerts’. We will also post updates to Twitter @LangleySchools and Facebook www.Facebook.com/LangleySchoolDistrict.<http://www.Facebook.com/LangleySchoolDistrict.>
If you don't have internet connectivity, but your phone is working, call a relative or friend in an area that has not been affected by the storm and ask them to check the district website for you. Current information is also recorded on the Langley School District's Information Hotline at 604-532-1453. (Do not hang up if your call is not connected right away). Local radio stations are also informed of school status in Langley. Tune in to CKWX 1130 AM, CKNW 980 AM, Country Radio 107.1 FM or CBC 690 AM for updates.
Please note that Langley District schools are all considered 'open' until a decision to close is required. Decisions on school closures are usually made by 6:30am. As always, it is a parent's decision whether to send their child to school based on safety and individual circumstances. If you feel it is unsafe for you or your child to travel to or attend an open school for any reason, please keep your child home and report an absence to the school.
Quote of the Week
Once again, I thank Values.com for the help on this one. I hope they have something good for Remembrance Day....
Trivia: Which President in the US had Maya Angelou as his poet laureate for his inauguration?
From the PAC
Check your child's backpack on Monday for some great fundraisers that will help ease your holiday do list.
1. Neufeld farms has delicious appetizers, meal ideas and desserts with exceptional quality and taste.
2. Gifts card order forms that have something for everyone.
All orders will be due november 19th and Neufelds will be ready for pick up December 1st at 2:30pm.
- Ever wonder how much our kids understand when we're talking to other adults? Here's some thinking on it.
- You may not have a teenager yet, but some of you have people who are on the 'doorstep.' Here's a teen's guide to digital life. It just might have some parts that are useful for those of us who still feel like teenagers, at least some of time.
- Remembrance Day Assembly - 10:50 am. Students are requested to dress nicely, in black or white.
- Remembrance Day - School Closed. The Port Kells Remembrance Day ceremony is a great, community-feeling one, if you're looking for somewhere to take the kids. I expect to be there with mine.
- Games club after school (library)
Nov 17 - PAC Meeting: 6:00 in the library. Child Minding available.
Nov 18 - Hot Lunch Day
Nov 20 - Half day for students (Report Card Prep)., Students dismissed at 11:26 am.
Weeks of Nov 16-27 - MDI (Middle-Years Development Instrument) administration for students in grades 4 & 7.