- Job Action Update: As you are probably aware, the BC Teachers' Federation served 72-hour strike notice on Thursday, April 17, 2014 and Stage 1 strike action in BC schools, including Langley, will begin on Wednesday, April 23, 2014. Classes will still be in session, and appropriate supervision will be provided to students at all times. In our elementary schools teachers will not be supervising students before and after school, at lunch hour and during recess. Supervision will be provided by management and administrative staff.
More information about Stage 1 strike action can be found at www.bcpsea.bc.ca. There is also a link on the main page of the School District website at www.sd35.bc.ca. For specific information about our school please contact the office. The negotiation of main contract issues takes place at the provincial level between the BCTF and the BC Public School Employers’ Association. Langley School District's priorities are to deliver the K-12 curriculum in a safe, welcoming learning environment and to preserve respectful relationships between all partner groups during job action.
We will keep our West Langley website up to date as information is made available. Please be sure to look under the “Job Action” tab for updated information. And if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact Mr. Davids at the school.
- Grade 7 Parents: It is getting close to our year end celebration for our Grade 7s and the parents are already busy getting things organized for the big day. And to that end, we still need baby pictures of our grade 7s from parents. Please get those in to either Miss Iggy or Devon Hjorth as soon as possible.
- Professional Learning: During the past week, I have “scooped” a few professional learning articles, websites and videos to Lions Lowdown: Professional Learning at West Langley Elementary. Be sure to check out the following:
EdCamp35: A Parent’s Perspective
A Parent’s View on EdCamp35
Home is Home, School is School
Best Source of On-Going Pro D
Sawubona: EdCamp35 Reflection
News From The PAC:
We held our April PAC meeting this week and had the opportunity to chat about some exciting news, upcoming events and….eat cookies and chocolates!
There are three areas that we need parents' help in the near future.
- Family Fun Night - May 30th. We are still looking for access to carnival games and prizes!!! If you have something new from your home or business that you could donate for prizes, or have connections/contacts for carnival type games, please contact us! Parents: you may also have heard about your child's class putting together a themed basket for our silent auction. These are starting to come together and we appreciate your support in creating AWESOME baskets for people to bid on. We are so looking forward to an exciting evening for our families and community!
- Playground Committee - we are looking to upgrade our current playground and need to establish a group of parents that will take the lead in this process. This is a group we'd like to form ASAP!
- Also ASAP (like really ASAP) our AGM is Tues May 20th where we will hold elections for next year's PAC positions. We need 3 parents to step up to be on our nominating committee. This consists of chatting with parents to see who might be interested in running for a position on next year's PAC. This is vital to sustaining PAC support for our school programs. Please consider joining this committee (only a 1 month commitment) as we plan for next year. NOTE: we are now accepting nominations for any PAC position for the 2014/15 school year. Elections will be held on Tues May 20th.
If you have any questions about any of the above, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to Wendy Southam or Christine Thorpe. Thank you so much.
Coming Up This Week: