Information to Share:
- Collaboration Day: Our first collaboration day is coming up tomorrow, Monday October 27th. Students will be arriving 80 minutes later than normal (9:51am) allowing staff time to work together to improve instruction and learning for students. At West Langley, we will be using this first of six mornings throughout the year to discuss inquiry questions we want to explore to better our practice. Be on the look out for a post the following Friday in our 5 Things To ROAR About sharing our learning.
- Halloween Carnival: Our annual Halloween Carnival is almost here. On Friday October 31st, our gym will be transformed into a spooky, fun atmosphere full of games, a bouncy castle and even a haunted house. Tickets will be on sale all week in classes...$5.00 for 20 tickets. They will also be on sale the day of the event. Also, we still need toys for the dead toy sale, baking for the bake sale and cakes for the cake walk. Any way you can help out would be great! Here is the schedule for the day:
- 9:00 - 10:00 Strong Start and Preschool
- 10:45 - 11:45 Primary Classes (Div 6 - 11)
- 1:00 - 2:00 Intermediate Classes (Div 1 - 5)
- Halloween Costumes: A reminder that children must wear appropriate costumes on Friday. Students are not permitted to bring weapons of any kind as part of their costume. Any adults wearing a costume are not permitted to wear a mask. If you are wearing a mask, staff will ask you to remove it.
- Where We're From Bulletin Board: We have a new bulletin board in our main hallway deigned to educate and celebrate all the diversity we have at West Langley. We are asking students, staff, parents and grandparents to let us know where they were born. We will then represent that with a colour coded pin on a large map of the world. Will be great to see just how global our learning community is. Please be sure to let Mr. Davids know or have your child come see him in the office so your family can be represented.
- Professional Learning: During the past week, I have “scooped” a few professional learning articles, websites and videos to Lions Lowdown: Professional Learning at West Langley Elementary. Be sure to check out the following:
- Low Tech Learning As A Novel Concept
- 3 Mindful Classroom Teaching Strategies
- Visibility Creates Accountability
- When Kids Teach Kids Through Social Media
- Seth On Sorting
- Low Tech Learning As A Novel Concept
From The PAC:
- Thanks to everyone that came to our PAC meeting this last week. We're having a great start to our year!
- THIS week, watch the backpacks for our first Christmas fundraiser. We've got personalized notepads, car decals, and more for you to get creative with and give for christmas gifts and stocking stuffers (or make some for yourself!). Coming soon and due back early November so that they are here early December! We also have gift cards and Christmas treats and appy orders coming soon too!
- ET Books…. we are just collecting the last of the orders and books and soon will be able to announce our grand total and our prize winners. Thanks for your participation!
- Rumor has it that hot lunch ordering will open soon. We will keep you posted on that!
- COBS Bread.. our local bakery is offering a great fundraising opportunity that doesn't cost you any extra money. The next time you are buying your bread products there please mention our school (before the transaction) and they will donate 5% of your purchase total to our school! An awesome easy way to 'raise some dough'! (COBS line, not mine..)
Parents… a note about fundraising. The purchases/funding that the PAC contributes to mostly comes from our school fundraising efforts. We encourage families to participate in this way, but please do not feel obligated to buy from every offer that comes home. Each fundraiser offers the PAC a percentage back of the purchases. Alternatively, if you'd like to donate to the PAC directly, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can give you more information how you can do this and receive an income tax receipt. Thanks so much!
Collaboration Day - Students arrive at 9:51
Treat Day: Popcorn
Strong Start and PreSchool 9:00 - 10:00
Primary (Div 6 - 11) 10:30 - 11:50
Intermediate (Div 1 - 5) 1:00 - 2:00