Information to Share:
- Halloween Carnival: Save the date! We are excited to be holding our annual Halloween Carnival this year on October 31st. This is an amazing community event held throughout the school day. Our gym is turned into a wonderful, fun place for students to come and play games, win prizes and enjoy the haunted house. It is a fundraiser for our grade 7 camp and tickets will be on sale shortly.
- Interim Reports: Originally our preliminary reports were scheduled to come home this week. However the late start coupled with the fact that parent teacher interviews are only a few weeks away means we will not be sending them home this year. On November 5th & 6th, parents/teacher interviews are scheduled so conversations can formally occur outlining current progress and setting goals for our first formal report card in early December. If you wish to get an update on your child, please do not hesitate to contact your teacher.
- Collaboration Days: This year, the district is excited to be able to provide a great opportunity for Langley educators, which will have a direct impact on classroom instruction and student learning. On five occasions throughout the year, teachers and support staff will have collaboration time built into their regular school day. In order to create this time, students will start 80 minutes later on those days. So at West Langley, that means the start time will be 9:51am. Please be sure to check our school calendar for all the days throughout this year. Our first staff collaboration day is October 27th.
- Hot Lunch: We are excited to be using the Munch-a-Lunch online ordering system for our hot lunch program this year. It is a great tool that allows parents to order online, pay online or at the school and even reminds you the day before hot lunch is occurring. If you are a new family, you can register quickly. If you registered last year, you are still in the system. Please be sure to access the website by clicking here ... October hot lunch is now open.
- Professional Learning: Every week, as we continue to grow as professionals, we come across articles, blog posts, video, etc that help guide our understanding in how best to work with students and empower their learning experience. We are able to curate these great resources using a web tool called "Scoop It." As parents, this information can be a great way to not only understand how the learning process works at school, but also how to assist your child to grow and develop at home. During the past few weeks, we have “scooped” a few professional learning articles, websites and videos to Lions Lowdown: Professional Learning at West Langley Elementary. Be sure to check out the following:
Always #Like A Girl (video)
Is A School Awards Ceremony The BEST We Can Do
The Impact of Awards
Starting the Conversation On Rethinking Awards
From The PAC:
1) MONDAY…. every student will be coming home with a sample Entertainment Book… our biggest fundraiser of the year! Talk to your friends, family, neighbors and advertise through whatever social media outlets you can! This great book (including a mobile app) is only $30 and is good until November 2015. Instructions about how this sale works will also be sent home. Any questions, contact Wendy at email@example.com.
Sale only runs until October 21!!
2) TUESDAY…. Hot Lunch orders are due tuesday! Hopefully you have all had a chance to sign up for our online hot lunch and treat day ordering. The link for Munch-a-lunch can be found on the school website. Any questions? Contact Erin McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org or Sylvia Poitras at email@example.com.
A huge thanks to those parents that helped or attended our Kindergarten Parent Welcome Morning last week. Thanks to the parents that provided goodies, to the Kindergarten Parents that came, and to Starbucks for donating the coffee! It was great to see new parents meeting each other as you've got a few years of hanging out at the same doors and organizing play dates!
Entertainment Book Kick Off Assembly at 2:00.
First fire drill of the year will be today
Hot Lunch Orders are due!
Grade 7 parent meeting at 5:30 in the library
Photo Day is today